Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks. All things in moderation — except when the basket of warm fragrant breadsticks arrives on your table at Olive Garden.
But why make the trip to savour those carbs when you can make them at home?
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Measure warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Add yeast and 1 tsp of the sugar and mix until yeast dissolves. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add yeast mixture, remaining 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt and vegetable oil and mix to combine.
- Add in remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and knead mixture for 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl but still be slightly sticky. Add remaining 1/4 cup of flour, if needed.
- Transfer dough to a large, greased bowl and cover with a dry towel or plastic wrap. Allow to rest in a warm place until double in size (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- Once risen, punch dough down and divide it into 12 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a 9in rope and transfer to a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise again for 1 hour.
- Bake breadsticks at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
- While the breadsticks bake, mix the garlic butter topping ingredients together. Brush butter mixture over the tops of the hot, cooked breadsticks. Serve warm. Store in a airtight container.
Source: Copycat Kitchen