A real superfood — creamy red cabbage soup should be a must have in your diet.
Is it cold where you live now? Nothing beats a bowl of hot soup when you come inside. It is great served cold even in the summer.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 handfuls chopped potato
- 1 tart apple
- 1.2 litres chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 160 ml milk or cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and saute the onion and garlic until the onion is soft.
- Add the cabbage, potato, apple, vinegar and stock, bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Puree in a processor or blender, return to pan.
- Add milk or cream and season to taste.
- Reheat to serve, without letting the soup boil.
- Garnish with bacon bits and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serves 4
Source: Dining with Dinah