Sometimes you want pizza. Yes, again. But the guilty conscience is whispering that you need something more. That’s where Pizza Bread comes in.
You can fool yourself with this quick and easy recipe served along side a healthy salad.
Or just have it for breakfast like I did. Admit it. How many times in the past have you had cold pizza to start your day?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni slices
- 1 chopped plum tomato
- 3 large mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Italian seasoning together. Add the cheese, pepperoni, tomato, mushrooms, olives and bell pepper; toss until coated with the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk the milk, egg and oil together. Pour over the dry ingredients. Gently stir and fold together just until combined.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan and spread from corner to corner. Dollop 2/3 cup of the sauce over the batter and spread from edge to edge. Spoon the remaining batter into the pan and spread over the sauce.
- Drop the remaining sauce by the spoonful over the top then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter stuck to it. Let the loaf cool in the pan 20 minutes or so then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
Source: Mama’s Cucina