I don’t believe I have ever tasted kale before preparing this recipe.
After reading an article on how healthy it is, I just had to try it. Yup, I love it!
Bean and Kale Soup and Parmesan Cornbread
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 c. thinly sliced fresh kale
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 15 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney), rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green peppers, celery and onions, undrained
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- Parmesan Cornbread:
- 1/4 c. bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1/3 c. sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. snipped fresh basil
- Heat oil in Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in kale, broth, and 3/4 c. water. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a small bowl, pour 1 cup boiling water over bulgur; let stand 5 minutes.
- Generously grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan or 1-1/2 qt. souffle dish. Set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt. Make a well in centre.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg lightly; stir in milk, green onions, oil and basil. Drain bulgur, stir into egg mixture. Add bulgur mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir just until moistened and still lumpy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes. If desired, brush with 1 tbsp. olive oil and dust with cornmeal. Serve warm.
Source: Southern Living