Espresso shortbread cookies are so much better than plain shortbread.
Enjoy with a cup of tea, a mug of coffee or a glass of milk.
Espresso Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. finely ground espresso
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line bottom and sides of 8×8 in. pan with parchment paper leaving 2-3 inch overhang on sides.
- Sift flour and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and espresso and beat 5- minutes. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Pat dough into pan. Prick surface with fork. Cut dough all the way through.
- Bake until gold yet not brown, about 45-50 minutes. Transfer to wire rack. Immediately cut the warm shortbread along the marked lines to prevent breaking once cooled.
- Remove from pan using parchment “handles” once cooled.
- Store in airtight container and store at room temperature or freeze.
- SOURCE: Baking for All Occasions, Flo Braker