Whether it be Russian, Polish or Ukrainian, the beet soup, borscht, is so delicious and good for you too.
- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 large beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Put broth, beets and potatoes in a large heavy-bottomed pot and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the cabbage and red wine vinegar. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Source: The Food Network