A little bit of heat; a little bit of smoke. Smokey Chipotle Hummus dip makes a tasty appetizer served with crudities or pita chips. Also a healthy and flavourful sandwich spread instead of mayonnaise or mustard.
Did you know that chipotles are roasted jalapeno peppers?
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Put the chickpeas, water, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, and cumin in the bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth.
- Add the red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse the mixture until the ingredients are coarsely chopped into the hummus.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve.
Source: Taste of Beirut